October, 2014 WXXI Education e-Newsletters
Download complete e-newsletter at: http://wxxi.org/education/k12/2014octNEWS.pdf
Get Your Tech On
The Get Your Tech On initiative is designed to support technology and digital resource integration in the classroom.
Today through November 30, area teachers can:
- Access the Get Your Tech On Collection free tech-themed content collections for building digital classrooms in PBS LearningMedia New York
- Enter the national sweepstakes to win weekly tablet giveaways.
- Register for Free Professional Development Webinars
Learn More: Education E-Newsletter
Statewide live homework help show, Homework Hotline is here to help New York State students with their homework. The 24th season airs Monday-Thursday 5:30pm-6pm. LIVE on NY PBS stations. Students that involve their families in their homework have parents that are more invested and engaged with their school success. Use Homework Hotline as a tool to support families! Teachers from Dial-A-Teacher take the calls and send them to WXXI studios in Rochester, where host teachers, who are experts in subjects across the curriculum, are standing by ready to help kids work through their homework.
- LIVE STREAM of the show at http://homeworkhotline.org
- Student Segment Hosts
- Sign-up Your School to Tape Book Reviews for the Show!
- New video clips on topics across the curriculum on the Homework Hotline YouTube Channel.
- For Homework Help Call:
Dial-A-Teacher: Mon.-Thurs. 4-7pm
(585) 262-5000 (in the Rochester, NY area)
1-888-986-2345 (toll free everywhere else)
You know you "LIKE" homework help!Insider updates at:
- Homework Hotline Facebook page! &
- Homework Hotline Twitter (@hmwkhotlinetv) Become a fan!
- Series site at: http://homeworkhotline.org
Statewide funding is provided by New York State United Teachers (NYSUT)
Dial-A-Teacher support provided by Rochester Teacher Association (RTA).
Learn More Education E-newsletter
TV & Online Highlights:
Latino Americans: A 3 part series covering 500 from 1500s to current day. Lesson Plans & On-Demand Videos & Guides & Continues On WXXI-TV 10/5 and 10/12 at 2-4pm
Ken Burns: The Roosevelts series Re-airs on WXXI-TV Sundays 2-4pm beginning 10/19-11/30
Lesson Plans and Video Clips Available
Great free film screenings, followed by great conversations with community facilitators and discussion panels at The Little Theatre, 240 East Avenue Rochester, NY
Save the Date:
- Monday, November 24th - 7:00pm - Evolution of a Criminal .
The WXXI Education Outreach Center Staff
WXXI's American Graduate Initiative:
WXXI is dedicated to building awareness of the national and local issues that have led to an alarming dropout rate and to help our community find solutions to ensure a greater number of graduates in the future.
Learn More: http://wxxi.org/grad and in the Education E-Newsletter Feature
Dropping Back InDropping Back In features half-hour programs which introduce some of America’s dropouts, the issues they face and the people and programs helping them drop back in and get on with their educations and lives. Part of WXXI's American Graduate: Let's Make It Happen Initiative:
Airs Saturday, October 4, 2014 from 5:30-6:00p.m. on WXXI-TV. The Series continues at the same time on 10/11, 10/18 and 10/25
Learn More and Preview Personal Video Stories: http://wxxi.org/grad
America By The Numbers: Surviving Year One
WXXI's American Graduate Initiative is made possible in part with funding provided by the Corporation for Public Broadcasting.
PBS LearningMedia New York
New Name, New Look!
WXXI's Education Video Service: Free to WXXI educational institutions, teachers, students, & parents. Go to http://wxxi.org/education/ondemand
PBS LearningMedia NY is the go-to destination for instant access to tens of thousands of classroom-ready, digital resources including videos, games, audio clips, photos, lesson plans, and more! You can search, save, and share with ease. Best of all, it is free for educators in New York State because of a partnership between NYS Public Broadcasting Stations & PBS. (Previously known as VITAL NY)
The Finger Lakes Regional Adult Education Offers Professional Development for Adult Literacy Agencies.
- New Training Topics Available:
- TASC Testing Begins: Learn More
- TASC Readiness Test
- TASC Brochures Available
- Register & Learn more at: flraen.org
- Programs available online for Adult Educators & Students .
- New line-up for Adult Education Broadcasts M-F 5am-6am. on WXXI-TV
Learn More in the Education E-newsletter
- Thomas & Friends Parent Sessions 10/7/2014 10am-11:00am & 1-2pm (Must Register/Free)
- Thomas & Friends Meet & Greet: 11/8/2014 10-2pm but must register
- America By the Numbers with Maria Hinojosa: Surviving Year One: The story of infant mortality in Rochester and what is being done about it. Free Screening/Talkback: 11/13/2014 6:30pm at The Little Theatre.
- Community Cinema Series
Learn More: Education E-Newsletterand at wxxi.org/events
WXXI Education News
WXXI Education News Coverage >
Outreach & Engagement Projects