In the mine

In the mine The Lackawanna mine opened in 1860. In its heyday, about 500 men and children extracted a quarter million tons of coal a year, many of them lying on their stomachs or sides as they squirmed through a two-foot high passageway with shovels. It closed in 1966, and the debris and equipment was left in situ. It opened again for tourists in 1985.